I recently read MOOC’s Now by Allman and Jumba and found it a worthwhile read. This is the first book to cover the phenomenon of MOOCs from the perspective of veteran librarians.
I found the book to be well-organized, and thorough. Allman and Jumba grapple with important and difficult questions including:
- Do MOOC’s threaten traditional higher education models?
- How do you determine if a MOOC is an appropriate medium for your course content
- Who is your audience?
- Why are you considering a MOOC?
- What can be done about student retention in an anonymous venue of a MOOC?
Allman and Jumba also address practical issues including
- Choosing an appropriate platform for the course to be offered
- Determining the audience
- Enrollment and participation
- “Grades” badges, course activities and evaluation
- Instructor feedback and availability
- Costs, (teachers, developers, licensing, and software) and more
- How to decide whether you should offer your MOOC for free or require a fee and offer a certificate upon course completion.
- Copyright issues surrounding materials used in the course and the administration required.
I was very pleased to see the authors explore and explain accessibility options and why it is important to not overlook making the course accessible – and not just for individuals with disabilities. They also point out that with the truly global nature of MOOC’s that time and time zones matter and can impact the types of decisions one needs to make. This guide also explains various options for options for the presentation of audio, video and text content; whether to give assignments or tests.
MOOC’s Now book answers these questions and many more, offering a practical and realistic guide to MOOCs. Most importantly it is an excellent guide that will help anyone involved in higher education to better understand MOOCs and enable them to make decisions about whether and how to offer MOOCs.
This title was a good read, well-written and informative.
MOOC’s Now: Everything You Need to Design, Set-Up and Run a Massive Open Online Course. Susan W. Alman, Jennifer Jumba, Editors (c)2017 ISBN 978-1-4408-4457-7, Libraries Unlimited 117 pages.
About the Authors
Susan W. Alman, is a lecturer at San Jose State University (SJSU), was formerly director of the online education program at the School of Information Sciences, University of Pittsburgh.
Jennifer Jumba, MLIS, works at Cuyahoga County Public Library in Ohio, where she specializes in adult reference.